Wednesday 19 September 2007

Greased Lightning

Took the boys around the block this afternoon to give Boy #1 the chance to get used to his Birthday Bicycle. He has christened it variously 'Fantastic Super-bike', 'Thunder' (because of the lightning flashes on the saddle), and Mine. This excursion was a challenging experience and I think that I probably walked 3 times the distance that he actually cycled, as the walk proceeded as follows:
  • Help Boy #1 get started by gently pushing his legs in the right direction
  • Follow him with Boy #2 in buggy
  • Pass Boy #1 who had, according to him, unaccountably stopped. This was usually due to the fact he was so overcome by excitement that he had forgotten to keep pedalling.
  • Walk on a few yards, put the buggy brake on to stop Boy #2 jolting it into the road in his enthusiasm to support his brother.
  • Walk back to Boy #1 and remind him which direction to move his legs

Repeat to fade...

It was all worth it though when he finally got it, and after streaking along the pavement at a snails-pace turned to me and said 'Look how far I came! My Daddy is going to be so proud.'

4 comments:

  1. I do hope Dad will be roud - I know I would be! At present trying to come to terms with The Littest walking! Not really a proper baby anymore and I don't know whether to jump for joy or just sob in my pillow...I blame it on those TV puppies....
    I too am at that crossroads in my life do I join in and take Dear Charlie's surname or leave it ...the passport is up for renewal!
    PS Fennel - seriously yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tattie, I know just what you mean. My younger boy is due to start nursery when he's 2 in 3 months time, and am really not looking forward to it; if I were younger this might be a good time to have another baby - but I'm not, and really not sure I would want to drag myself back into that twilight world of new babies even if I were!
    As for the passport thing, it was a big deal for me (especially since once you do that most other things need to follow, sadly), but I still have my maiden name on my e-mail address so can kid myself that I haven't made the change whenever I log on. How sad is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! The first time my daughter rode a bike without stabilisers I cried! The buggy / bike long drawn out ride was very familiar!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  4. But was the crying from pride - or relief that you no longer had to do double the distance?
    And am amazed & delighted that as confirmed vegetarian you have never cooked fennel, PITK; it makes me feel so much better! (And the heart reference - apposite and gross at the same time. Now I REALLY won't be cooking it again...)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...