Tuesday 25 March 2008

Tea for three

Yesterday I wrote my 100th post.

Who'd have thought it?

And in celebration, I bring you an excerpt from a conversation with my children this morning. Boy #1 had just been unpacking his toy-rucksack following our return from my parent's the previous evening.


Boy #1: Oh look Mama, a toy car. It isn't mine. Is it mine? Boy #2, is it our car?

Boy #2: Tea? (Boy #2 is currently obsessed with pouring imaginery tea for everyone he meets. It wouldn't be particularly funny, but he asks in just the tone that a vicar's wife - or, if you happen to live in the UK and have seen the 80's comedy Keeping up Appearances, Hyacinth Bucket - would use. With a rising inflection and a big smile plastered over his cheeky face).

Boy #1: Yes please, Boy #2 (he knows that he won't be left in peace until he is holding his imaginery cup of Earl Grey). Mama, look! I said, a toy car, that isn't mine!

Me: Oh yes. Maybe we brought it home by mistake. Perhaps it's one of Cousin J's.

Boy #1: No, no, we didn't bring it by mistake. We were just stupid.

Boy #2: Cake?


Ah, the wisdom of babes. (And yes please, Boy #2. I will have that cake).

7 comments:

  1. 100? Already? Congratulations, and that definitely merits tea and cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to pop out for some from Patisserie Valerie, actually. Can I tempt you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! So funny!

    "Tea?"

    I can just picture Hyancinth too... We get that over here on re-runs (of course) on our Public Broadcasting channel and on BBC America (sometimes...when they are not showing Gordon Ramsey, house make overs and BBC News.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi J's Mommy. It is funny - now. But when Keeping Up Appearances was on tv over here, I could never bring myself to watch it. I always found it struck a little too close to home...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! When did you sneak this one in?

    Happy 100th! I see I missed mine entirely - I'm such a dunce like that and absolutely hate birthdays....so I guess I did mine on purpose...but for you- Huzzah and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Aims. Not sure what happened to this post but you're not the first to say that you didn't see it. As I said to Frog - perhaps blogspot took a look and thought 'she really didn't mean to post this. Let's do the kind thing and put it to one side for the moment...' (I am nothing if not paranoid)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Aims. Not sure what happened to this post but you're not the first to say that you didn't see it. As I said to Frog - perhaps blogspot took a look and thought 'she really didn't mean to post this. Let's do the kind thing and put it to one side for the moment...' (I am nothing if not paranoid)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...