Wednesday 20 August 2008

Ask and you will recieve

So I picked the Boys up from their paternal grandparents this afternoon. In that oh-so-gratifying way children have of greeting their erstwhile parents, neither of them wanted to leave. Boy #2 even went so far as to string a sentence together - well, 4 words anyway - to tell me as much. But then, would you want to leave if you were 2 or 4 and could draw the following comparisons?


Comparison #1

At The Grandparents: have your evening bath brought to you in front of the television so you don't miss a single precious moment of 'Lady and the Tramp' on video.

At Home: Click, as the tv goes off. "Into the bath. Now!"


Comparison #2

At the Grandparents: get taken to the local Pancake house in celebration of your Dutch heritage. You ask for a scoop of ice-cream on top of your sugar-covered pancake. You get it. Job done.

At Home: get taken to the local Pancake house in celebration of your Dutch heritage. Don't even bother to ask for the ice-cream. You know that the sugar covered pancake you've got is as far as you can push it...


Comparison #3

At the Grandparents: you go on a trip to the shops. You see The Early Learning Centre. You say: "I remember these shops from last time we were here, Oma. We were allowed into a certain shop (frantic gesticulations and pointing), and were allowed to choose something..." Oma's heart melts, she ushers you to the door of the shop. Later on, you show your mother your new Transformer when she comes to pick you up.

At Home: You go on a trip to the shops. You buy a loaf of bread, some Piriton, go to the supermarket, and go home.


Comparison #4

At the Grandparents: you ask for a biscuit. You are handed a chocolate and caramel covered rich tea delicacy. And then another.

At Home: you ask for a biscuit. Mum hands you a boring old child-friendly nut, sesame and taste-free ginger cookie.


But despite all these perfectly reasonable (and expected) grandparent indulgences, I knew I would get the Boys safely in the car. I have a secret weapon.

It's called digital tv and features C-beebies - and these satellite and cable-free grandparents haven't wised up to Free View yet...

11 comments:

  1. How can you tell I'm not a parent?

    I haven't got a clue what C-Beebies is. Enlightenment please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear your choices PM - and so did my sons when they were small people! Nice to know I'm not the only 'Meanie Mum' out there. My elder one informed me (at the tender age of 5) that he would rather live with Snow White's Wicked Stepmother! This was all because I wouldn't let him eat chocolate cake for breakfast. My saving grace was that I would allow them to paint, do sticky things or play with playdough etc at the dining room table unlike Grandma. Her polished glory was not ever used for such messy pursuits. Also, I had a better collection of Videos, this being back in the olden days lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to my 5 year old I "ruin his day/life" on a daily basis for a plethora of reasons, yet Grandmas is "his heaven" for no particular reason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already had one experience with spoiled baby post-grandparents visit. Can't wait for the commentary when she's able.

    New parent here - no idea what C-Beebies are either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freeview trump card - nice! But I'm afriad I'm a C-Beebies novice as well. Am I missing out??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big fan of CBeebies too. In fact, the Littleboys don't know any other channel exists - although they have recently discovered DVDs.

    How nice for the boys to have grandparents to spoil them, though. My boys have no grannies (both died) and two grandpas, one of whom is terminally grumpy with them. And no-one who would be prepared to look after them for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am the only person without Freeview?
    I love the Piriton and supermarket trip....that's me, full on excitement here too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dutch grandparents are supposed to spoil their grandchildren, that is their right and their prerogative. It has never been any different and it will never change. It won't hurt them in the long run, because the kids know that it is an exception to the rule and that it is a very special thing. But it does make them feel ever so loved. My paternal grandmother always bought a big cake with whipped cream when she knew we were coming for a visit. We knew we were special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Aims, you're missing nothing - or everything, depending on your age. C-beebies is the advertisement free channel for pre-schoolers run by the BBC. 7am - 7pm, nothing but pre-school programmes. Either a blessing, or a curse, depending on your age...

    Sharon, it's the only way to handle small children; you have to be the boss. If they smell prevarication, you're toast. As I frequently am when my two suss me out (which is all the time).

    EPM, it's in the granny job description, apparantly!

    SB, it does get better - but you have to be fierce with them (the grandparents, not the baby). Then you can ease off... And C-Beebies, I don't think you have it over there but check my answer to aims at the top of this comment.

    Mud, only if you like painting, Charlie and Lola, bright colours, and a lot of repeats..

    VG, I am lucky, and I do know it. Hopefully as the boys get older they will too. I remember as a child going to stay with granny and they are golden memories. (You see - it's a longstanding tradition in our family - which is probably why I take it for granted).

    Frog, very possibly you are the only person without freeview. (You do know that by 2012 the entire UK will have to have digital tv's, I take it? And then you should get it automatically, even - apparantly - in the countryside!)

    Irene, it's not just Dutch grandparents - I look forward to doing it to my grandkids too some day, all being well. But also, as I'm sure you remember, it's the mum's perogative to get a bit cheesed off by it at times too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These old people are such a bad influence aren't they! I notice my mother has been drawing on the beautiful boys bedroom wall with his 'invisible' pen - you need a special light to see it - they both drew hand prints and kisses everywhere! Now what sort of an example is that ........ x
    PS to frog - we get Freeview in the countryside - except when it rains, or there's a slight breeze in the south-west, or there's something on we really want to watch - then all the channels go belly up and the backgammon board comes out to play!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My parents haven't yet gotten into this spoiling mode too much.

    they do, however, say hi to Jonathan before me and sometimes forget my husband or I have even come to visit until about an hour after we've been there and they have already hugged and kissed all over the kid.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...