Sunday 24 January 2010

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

The Potski family are busy making new memories here in Moscow.

We spent yesterday morning putting together the latest flat-pack delivery from Ikea (don't knock it - I am living the Swedish dream...), and in the absence of our radio which is still waiting to leave Blighty, were listening to my ipod on Shuffle. Suddenly, a song I had no idea was on there started playing (courtesy of the soundtrack to Ashes to Ashes - thank you god), and I was transported back to my sixth form years and all the fun and frolics that went with them. The fretting that I wasn't as pretty as Rachel C with her steely blue eyes and flicked-back hair. The longing that I could have the same wheaten tresses and endless legs as Alex T. The endless deliberation of what to wear to the disco; the powder-blue cotton jump suit, or the pink high-waisted cropped jeans? The delight when my hair was finally long enough to tie back in a high pony-tail finished off with a pair with a pair of day-glo shoe laces...

As of yesterday though, whilst those memories will always remain, this song will forever be associated screwing together tables and chairs with the bright sunshine, magnified by sparkling snow, flooding in to our new Russian home.

Here they are; OMD singing 'Souvenir' in all their 80's fabulousness; I suspect it will now always be a 'moving to Moscow' trigger song for me, and I hope you enjoy wherever your trip down memory lane takes you..



And after far too long a break, it's time for the next British Mummy Blogger of the Week. Sitting here surrounded by white stuff, snow is pretty uppermost in my mind right now so I suppose it shouldn't surprise anyone that it's also a hot (haha) topic for this week's recommendation. Saffia Farr is currently questioning the effect that government health and safety initiatives have on our perception of the white stuff, and writes of herself:

'My blog is called Motherhood and Anarchy and it is about family life with three young children and a husband who works abroad. I created it to support my book Revolution Baby: Motherhood and Anarchy in Kyrgyzstan which tells of the three years I spent living in Bishkek, capital of Kyrgyzstan, pregnant and then with a small baby. I love to write and am working on a fictional mum's diary. My blog is a way to share my thoughts and experiences of motherhood'.

For the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too).

8 comments:

  1. I love IKEA. Simple, clean lines and eminently functional!

    The early 80s reminds me of babies, potty training and multitudes of small children! Occasionally I got to go into hospital where I came to appreciate major surgery as an opportunity for a nice rest ;-)
    I do vaguely remember OMD though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for making me BMB of the week, I feel very honoured! I have done a lot of ranting about snow and schools closing recently, so it will be interesting to hear what people think about this.

    Just one small point, surname is spelt Farr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and ps, glad the settling in seems to be going well. It can be a strange time, exciting but sometimes overwhelming with everything new and so much to do. I can imagine IKEA helps! The places my husband gets posted to don't have such modern conveniences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, no doubt in a few years time I'll be saying the same about the mid-noughties...

    Saffia, it's a pleasure and apologies for the typo - I've changed it now. As for Ikea - well, thank god for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good call, she is great!

    On the radio front, we have a radio called something like Pure Evoke Flow, which uses wireless internet to pick up any radio that is broadcast online. Hence I can listen to Today in the kitchen without having to turn the computer on. And get all the terrible traffic reports about the Hanger Lane Gryratory and feel a bit smug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brit, thanks for the hint - I think I know what to put my wish list for my forthcoming birthday now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whose Knocking Ikea? Let me at them... Oh and a great blog there off to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing... I can't believe you are still doing your BMBotW from Moscow. You totally rock.

    And we are Ikea addicts... no home furnishing problem exists that Ikea can't solve at least temporarily. What have you bought? She asks, nosily...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...