Tuesday 27 April 2010

And today, I will be mostly pretending I know Music...

The world of parent blogging is pretty diverse. Other than the fact that we all have children who we are each convinced are the smartest / the cutest / the most entertaining / the most loveable / the most frustrating / the most rewarding IN THE WORLD (oh yes mine are - all of those things - obviously), we're all capable of writing posts that could focus on a multitude of other issues. For example, it's possible to find posts which instead of focusing on Junior's latest adorable habit instead feature everything and anything under the sun. In just a few clicks I can read about what to cook for dinner, how to handle depression, the forthcoming UK election, dealing with cancer, which wine to buy, and what fashion-fixes are out there, without having to work too hard at it, and amazingly all without ever leaving sites that fall under the umbrella-term 'parent blogger'.

So today I've decided to add music to my interests. But don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to read through a review of some new indy band's latest offering. Instead, take a look at this list of bands and artists, and see if you can work out what they all have in common...

Steve Wonder
Beyonce
Crowded House
Journey
James Blunt
Cher
Elton John
Maroon 5
U2
Paul McCartney
Bob Marley
Men at Work
Aha
Toto
Pink
Lady GaGa
Natalie Imbruglia

Got it yet?

No? Well, they all wrote songs that use the same 4 chords.

Unlikely, I know, but check out this video and you'll see what I mean... (there are more artists than I've listed above featured in this, but I'm only human and didn't get them all. Feel free to add to the list in the comments if you're so inclined, and I'll update it...)

And thanks to Powder Room Graffiti where I first came across the 4 Chord Song, and ThatGirl39 who inspired this post with her remark that 'I can be all things to all people'...

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great! Makes me think that maybe learning to play my guitar is not actually out of my reach...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Sparx, I'm getting the old guitar out now! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that, and it amazed me. Who knew music was so interchangeable? Mind you, I have noticed that you can segue from Baa Baa Black Sheep to Twinkle Twinkle very smoothly, so really I'm only one step away from being as talented as this group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious!

    The bloke in the middle really reminds of Jack Black in School of Rock, too.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of this before - that a huge amount of songs are built around the same four chords. Also that r and b music is quite similar to heavy metal in the sorts of chord combinations it uses, although I could be making that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And they usually follow the same format too. Verse, verse, chorus. Something like that. (oh yes, I too know more "stuff" than I'm letting on.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. But you do have to be able to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sparx, let me know when your first hit single is out!

    TW, maybe you and Sparx should team up?

    Rachel, glad you liked it.

    Mwa, it is, isn't it?

    Iota, I knew you were a multi-talented individual...

    NVG, the same thought ocurred to me too

    Gappy - you could be making that up but it sounds good, so stick with it (who would know any differently, anyway?)

    EPM - you submitted it to PRG, didn't you? 'Fess up!

    Irene, actually I'm told that with today's harmonisers and computers that actually the singing is not so important any more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 4 chords? I could learn that. A late career as a pop starlet is maybe the answer to my mini midlife crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us
    branded bags

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the information. I’m really glad that you share your these links. I must relay this ideas to my friends.
    promotional products

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool, Which seems to be very important and it made good time pass for me. I will always give a nice thrust look in to you from my bookmark feed. I don’t actually comment and don’t like to spend time in typing the comment.
    Customised mugs

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...