Friday 3 September 2010

Sisters Under The Skin #blogladesh

If you are are a member of the British Mummy Bloggers community, I imagine that by now you will have picked up on the fact that 3 British bloggers have travelled out to Bangladesh with Save The Children to see for themselves the work that is being done there - and the work that still needs to be done. And if you are on Twitter, I can't imagine there's much chance of your having avoided the wealth of tweets with the #blogladesh hashtag that have been circulating for the last few weeks.

I'm not going to write here about their experiences; why paraphrase what has already been written about so honestly? You can keep up to date with their posts and tweets on their trip here, on The Save The Children site.

No, I just wanted to say how incredibly proud I am of these bloggers and what they are currently doing.

When I first heard about this trip I have to admit to feeling both envy that I wasn't going, and more than faint sense of apprehension on their behalf. To be pulled so far out of your comfort zone, to be confronted with the effects of poverty in such an in-your-face-manner, and to do that from behind the lucky side of the have/have-not division, well, that's got to be hard. I'm met all of these women; they're not saints, they're ordinary mums with families and jobs that they need to attend to, and yet they rose to the challenge offered to them by Save The Children and are out there right now, seeing it, feeling it, writing about it, for all of us who can't be there.

Why? Well, in the words of the Save The Children website:

Every year almost 9 million children under the age of five die. We can change that. Passionate about our work, our bloggers will be tweeting, creating video and photogalleries and writing about their experiences live and direct.

How you can help

Nick Clegg will be at the UN Summit in New York at the end of September with a crucial opportunity to ensure world leaders re-commit to the Millennium Development Goals - which are currently way off track.

Make as much noise as possible. Follow our bloggers on their journey, watch their videos and re-tweet their story.

Press for change. Help us collect 100,000 thumbprints. Together we can stop the scandal of 9 million child deaths a year.




I've shown my support and signed the petition at Press for Change; and if you haven't already, I hope you can find it in yourself to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your support and encouragement. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Potty! The news and pictures coming out of the trip are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me proud to be a Mummy Blogger and I'm full of admiration for these gals. I am planning a trip to "my" school in Ghana next year and confess to being a little apprehensive. However, this is what it takes to make a difference, and the trio have certainly done that already by calling attention to their experience.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...