Thursday 31 March 2011

Come on Spring; the camera and I are waiting...

We still have snow here in Moscow. It's decreasing, melting gradually away, but there's still plenty lying on the ground, and snow storms most days.

It's nearly April. As an English person used to temperate climates, that's bloody depressing, let me tell you.

Last year we were lucky; the winter, whilst much colder than the one we've just had, was brighter. Sure, we had days on end of -20degC and below, but the sun shone, the sky was blue, and the dazzling light reflecting off the snow took some of the edge off. Yes, it was freezing, but beautiful and exhilerating. This year, we've had fewer days like that. Milder temperatures, certainly, but somehow I prefer -20degC with blinding sunshine to grey drabness at -8degC. It's still minus when all's said and done, after all.

Spring 2010, when it arrived (at the beginning of April) was astounding, however. I've never seen such an explosion of life. My parents visited me during the second week of May and couldn't believe how in only their 8 day visit everything in the garden exploded. And don't get me started on the birds; from a veritable wasteland of wild-life at the end of March, with only a couple of squirrels and a few grey-hooded crows, our compound transformed into what sounded like a tropical paradise in only 2 - 3 weeks.

So in an attempt to maintain my sense of optimism against the snowstorms ('Spring will come, it will!'), I've decided to use the blog to make a record of the forthcoming transformation. Every Thursday morning (or thereabouts), around 9.00am, I'm going to take a photograph of the flower bed in front of our house. Well, I say 'flower bed'; it's more greenery than flowers, but you get the point. And actually, right now, it's not even greenery; just a heap of snow with one brave fern struggling through it.

Then I'm going to post it here. Just to show myself - and anyone else who's interested - how far we've come by the time June rolls around. Let me know if you're interested in joining in with photos of your own Spring-time transformation and perhaps McLinky might come out to join the fun, too...

Here it is, then. The front flower bed chez Potty, 9.10am, Thursday 31st March 2011. Roll on Spring; I sure am ready for you to make an appearance...




6 comments:

  1. and you think England is the place to go for weather? I'm putting on my spring short sleeves and pretty flats and heading out. In the cold rain. Because it is Spring and I will dress accordingly, weather be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you. Here in south Finland we have just had more snow dumped on us the last few days. The only sign of life is from the bulbs on my windowsill. I love winter, but it's the end of March for crying out loud, I want birds and crocuses and daffodils, not more damn snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We leave Saturday, I will happily join in the fun, and post photos, snow unlikely...xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Russia and the Northeast US must be in synchronicity. It's still cold here, and more snow forecast tomorrow - northern New York could get a foot apparently. I still haven't washed and put away the ski jackets.

    Last year, it was really hot in early April. And, like you say, when spring came it was really riotous.

    Will watch your flower bed with interest. Here, the January snow only melted when it rained heavily and got warmer a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ISF, fair point but at least you won't come back with frostbite (which is how I felt after walking to the school without a hat this afternoon...)

    Eclipse, thanks for commenting - and fancy joining in with some photos on your own blog?

    March 17th, fabulous! I will look forward to it (and I don't only want to see snow - far from it!)

    NVG, come on, join the fun - let's see one from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow is long gone from Ireland thank god! We've just had a freaky week of spring sunshine... I just hope it's not a very early Summer!

    x Jazzy

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...