Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Gallery: Wk 64




This post is for Wk 64 of Tara's Gallery (click here to see the other entries). The prompt this week is 'My Weekend'.

For once my weekend featured very little of the laptop, mainly due to the fact that whilst I was actually at a blogging conference, I was doing precious little blogging. However, I took this shot duing Jay's presentation on photography, and I like the way the keyboard is reflected in the screen. It's faintly disorientating, and to a certain extent (bear with me here) I find that a relevant metaphor for why I started writing things down in the first place.

Struggling to find a sense a self after stopping (paid) work, and driven to distraction by my attempts to potty train my older son who was unwilling to have any truck with this toilet business, I decided that if I could write the experience down, and - crucially - make it funny, it would all seem so much easier and I would have regained some semblance of control. (On the page, at least).

And that was how it worked out. Writing things down became an addictive habit, it helped me to work things through, and eventually, I found that the more relaxed, centred person that I was trying to be in print started to be someone that I also recognised in the mirror.

I enjoyed CyberMummy, although if I'm completely honest I felt that for me it was more about meeting old friends face to face (some for the first time) than about the workshops and the opportunity to interact with brands. And I don't have a grand plan, as so many other bloggers seem to. I certainly have no idea where blogging will take me. I could continue for years, I may stop next week. But one thing I will never feel, whilst it continues to give me the chance to work things through in my mind, is that it has been a waste of my time.

And I suspect that I may always be addicted to using a screen to reflect & focus my thoughts, simply by the act of writing things down.

9 comments:

  1. Perfectly put Potty (see what I did with the alliteration there)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, very arty!
    I must agree with you - for me CyberMummy was more about connecting with people (such as your lovely self) than picking up new skills.
    Saying that, I did enjoy the speakers/workshops I attended.
    And I did win the year's worth of Disney movies, so a pretty succesful day all round for me!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. CM for me was about the chatting and listening to bloggers talk about what inspired them, the rest of it was less interesting to me

    I think I'm similar by writing things on the blog I work them out for myself and sharing at least means I know there is someone out there listening when in the real world I am frequently spoken over

    Lovely to meet you in person at last

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely I completely agree with your sentiments. So sorry not to see you on the Friday, was just too overwhelmed with everything, having just 'repatriated' the day before! next time.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't we meet up for a blogging lunch then with lots of chatter and maybe a little wine?

    Anyone?

    BM x

    ReplyDelete
  6. KM, yes, you are the queen of alliteration!

    MLM, you won the movies? Well done! (not jealous. At ALL).

    MAM, lovely to meet you too (and I SO understand the being 'spoken over' point).

    Paradise, don't worry, I totally understand. Was a bit phased myself, tbh, having only arrived the previous day. Mind you, that was just for a few weeks rather than for good. x

    BM, would love to. Not sure I can fit it in but we could give it a shot (I'm on pottymummy at g mail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...I may stop next week..." Please don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot. A number of my favorite bloggers were at CyberMummy and I have enjoyed reading everyone's various takes on the experience. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but it seems like the bloggers I read primarily were there to enjoy each other's company and not much to discuss the business aspects...probably why I like them so much...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iota - it's not likely. But you never know, I could get so wrapped up in writing my new novel (you know, the one I haven't actually thought of a story for yet) that I may find myself too busy to blog. Yes. Right...

    MsC, perhaps it's because none of us are brand new bloggers that we're less starstruck by all the whistles and bells (nice though they can be) which can go along with being part of the mum blogging community over here...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...